Starting this season a new playing regulation was introduced to allow player replacements for serious illness or injury in 2 day matches.
In past years if a player suffered an injury or became seriously ill midweek that meant that his team was down to 10 for the day 2 of a Saturday match. To prevent this, a new regulation 7.14 was added.
Of course confusion reigned due to lack of knowledge and understanding and some circumstances nearly got out of hand in the first half of season 2019/20.
So here is a clearly defined step by step procedure for how to go about getting an illness/injury replacement approved.
Hopefully there will be a chance to discuss the issues at the Delegates Meeting on Monday night (7.30pm Ian Healy Room, QC HQ Albion)
Download printable pdf version here https://qsdca.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/QSDCA-Injury-replacement-player-instructions-1st-ed-1-2-2020.pdf
SERIOUS ILLNESS/INJURY REPLACEMENT PLAYERS IN 2 DAYERS 1-Feb-2020
What’s this for – Serious illness/ injury replacement requests
- The Playing Regulation is 7.14
- The purpose is for unexpected serious injury or illness only (Reg 7.14.2)
- This is not meant to allow replacement for bereavement, convenience, minor injury.
- It is NOT allowed in finals. (Reg 18.104.22.168)
- The deadline for these requests is 10am Saturday prior to start of pay day 2. (Reg 7.14.10) Requests made at 9.45am Saturday may not get processed.
QUALIFICATION CONDITIONS FOR THE REPLACEMENT PLAYER
The replacement player must be:
- Registered and cleared in MyCricket. (See Reg 3 and 5)
- Graded the same grade or lower (See Reg 4.6.2) (Reg 22.214.171.124)
- Subject to replacement conditions in Reg 7.11.5, 7.11.6, 7.11.7 (Reg 126.96.36.199)
AND have their name added to the team list (Reg 188.8.131.52)
Any player may act as a substitute fielder only (no batting, no bowling) if not qualified (Reg 184.108.40.206, Law 24.1) Substitute fielders require only the approval of the match umpire.
STEPS FOR THE CLUB SECRETARY (OR DEPUTY) OF A INJURED PLAYER.
- Email the Association Secretary at email@example.com (Reg 7.14.4) Please DO NOT send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include the following information related to the circumstance of the replacement.
- Name and MyCricket ID of injured or ill player to be replaced
- Describe the player’s injury or illness.
- When did the illness or injury first occur? (This must be after the start of the match. (Reg 7.14.8))
- Current Match grade, Current Match venue, Current Match opposition, Current Match Umpire’s name
- Name and contact phone number of injured player’s team captain.
- Opposition team captain Name (from Team List)
- Please proceed with the replacement only when you have received written approval from the Association Secretary.
- After the match is complete please send a copy of either your scorebook or team sheet showing the injured player/replacement to email@example.com .
All information is required for approval of the replacement.
WARNING If the replacement due to injury occurs without completion of these steps including written approval from the Association Secretary, the team risks the loss of all match points for the match in question. More serious penalties apply for repeated contravention.
STEPS FOR THE ASSOCIATION SECRETARY (OR A DEPUTY)
- Prepare and send an approval email to the injured player’s club secretary, asking for confirmation that the inactive player takes no part in suspension period. (See standard text file below.) (Reg 7.14.12 and 7.14.13)
- Add injured player’s name and other details to the 20 Day Inactive Player list. (Reg 7.14.9) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org following deadline.
- Send a confirmation email to the opposition secretary. (Reg 7.14.12)
- Email / phone the match umpire (or umpire co-ordinators Mel Lowings/Tim O’Malley.)
- Contact the opposition team captain. (Reg 7.14.7)
- Seek post-match confirmation from club secretary of injured player to check inactive player suspension.
- Club phone/email contacts are on QSDCA Website. See https://qsdca.com.au/10b-club-contacts/
SAMPLE TEXT FOR APPROVAL EMAIL
Thanks for your request to replace a player due to Serious Illness or Injury.
(NAME OF INJURED PLAYER) is ok to be replaced by (NAME OF REPLACEMENT PLAYER) for (GRADE) match against (OPPOSITION CLUB NAME).
Please instruct your team captain to let the match umpire and the opposition team captain know about this prior to start of play on Saturday.
All the usual replacement conditions apply e.g if replaced player has batted and is out then new player is also out etc. (See Playing Regs 7.11.5, 7.11.6, 7.11.7)
(NAME OF INJURED PLAYER) is out for the next game (Round __) and is ok to play from (DATE 20 DAYS FROM DATE OF THIS NOTICE) onwards.
After the match is complete please send a copy of either your team’s scorebook or team sheet showing the injured player and replacement to email@example.com for confirmation.
I hope (NAME OF INJURED PLAYER) recovers soon and all other players have a great game today.
(NAME OF QSDCA OFFICE HOLDER)
(On behalf of Bruce Lawson, QSDCA Honorary Secretary)
Extract from Playing Regulations
7.14 REPLACEMENTS OF PLAYERS RESULTING FROM SERIOUS INJURY OR ILLNESS
7.14.1 This regulation applies in addition to and not in substitution for Regulations 7.11, 7.12, 7.13.
7.14.2 If a player named on the team list becomes unavailable during the match because of unexpected serious injury or illness that player may be replaced subject to the following regulations.
220.127.116.11 This regulation applies to all Association Rounds but does not apply in Semi Final and Grand Final matches.
QUALIFICATION CONDITIONS FOR REPLACEMENT PLAYER
7.14.3 The replacement player must be:
18.104.22.168 Named in the Team List
22.214.171.124 Subject to the conditions in 7.11.5, 7.11.6, 7.11.7
126.96.36.199 Graded the same or lower grade. See Regulation 4.6.2.
188.8.131.52 Nominated as a substitute fielder only if they do not meet any of these criteria. See Law 24 (2017 Code)
PROCEDURE FOR REPLACEMENT OF PLAYERS WITH SERIOUS INJURY
7.14.4 The Replacement Player’s Club Secretary will make a written request detailing the circumstances of the player’s injury. Note that a verbal request is not sufficient.
7.14.6 If any player selected for Replacement becomes injured and so is unable to play on a subsequent day of play, a different player may be nominated as a replacement subject to the deadline in Regulation 7.14.10.
7.14.7 The Replacement Player’s Team Captain will notify the umpire(s) and opposing captain of the names of replacement player before the start of play on the subsequent day of the match.
7.14.8 The injured player to be replaced must have sustained the injury after the submission of the team sheet on the first day.
7.14.9 The injured player to be replaced is to be placed on a twenty day inactive list and will not play in any Association match until this time period has expired.
7.14.10 The Club Secretary of the injured player’s team will notify the Association Secretary and opposing team Secretary that the player has been placed on the inactive list no later than 10am on the morning before the start of play on the second day of the match.
7.14.11 The twenty day inactive period will begin following receipt of this notification by the Association Secretary and opposing team Secretary and cannot be rescinded.
7.14.12 The Association Secretary and the opposing team Secretary will be notified of the injury replacement player’s name no later than 10am on the morning before the start of play on the second day of the match.
7.14.13 Once the twenty days have expired the previously inactive player may be selected as a Replacement Player for any Association match for which they are eligible but will be included within the maximum number of replacement players outlined in Regulation 7.11.
7.14.14 Consequential vacancies in lower grade teams must be filled in accordance with Regulation 7.14.3
7.14.15 Regarding eligibility for finals, any replaced or replacement player will be counted as appearing in the whole match in the grade in which that player commenced the match.
7.14.16 If any replacement player plays in a match in contravention of Regulation 7.14 the Management Committee may impose on that player’s Club a penalty in accordance with Regulation 24.4 and 24.5.